toggle cbox

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

The Gawain Formula, tag: Michael Dameron! | 16th century
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 09:48 PM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
My head is bloody, but unbowed
Children of Time

Tudor Era,
England

Lord Kestrel has made himself part of this time period seamlessly. He was playing his own son, that had been sent abroad with a now dead mother as a child. There wasn't any particular need for him to ne here, of course, but boredom wasn't his style. This day and age might not have as much in the way of variety to offer, but there was plenty here to fascinate him.

Predominately in the way events kept not playing out the way he would have expected. It was hard to know if that was a failing of the agency, some other time travellers, or just a quirk of the dimension.

For instance, the hype about humours and horoscopes should really be slowly settling down by now. And yet it seemed people clung to it more tightly than ever.

Not that he should complain.

"You'll be fit as a fiddle in no time, sir," he smiled to his newest customer happily, passing over a serving of the dark drink. "I've heard many people say it's the best thing for their melancholy. "

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 10:28 PM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

ARAMIS / ONE DORK, COMING UP

And having been told to bring a certain man back to the fold... Michael Dameron was going to do exactly that, even if it meant jumping back in time. But to actually do it... and witness said man being a shyster? Ohh... he was really going to enjoy breaking his cover.

Ohhhh... yes.

Sure, there were those who said first impressions were everything, and honestly, maybe his later view might be a little tainted by the knowledge that yes, someone from the future was hawking wares that he was touting as a cure... but from the distance he was standing, the scent of the liquid in that cup was familiar. Stronger than he was used to, perhaps... but it reminded of something. What... he was actually afraid to ask.

But having been watching for long enough, Michael paused where he was, hand on his sword-hilt at his side... before stepping forward, his other hand moving to settle just on 'Lord Kestrel's shoulder. Dressed as a knight in the King's service, everyone else took a step back, or moved enough away as to not interfere... which suited Michael perfectly.

In a heartbeat, his fingers closed around the curve of the other man's arm and he tugged faintly... the unspoken urge there for all and sundry to see. "If you'll come with me, Lord. I need to have a word..."

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Aug 29 2017, 10:52 PM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

Kestrel didn't recognize the knight watching him so disapprovingly. He considered offering the man a cup of coffee himself, but had chosen to ignore him in favor of convincing his current customer that no, this wasn't the work of the devil. And yes, it would truly help.

"It works far better than blood and butter poultices. But please, to your own conscience be true."

True, it would only work for some four to eight hours at one go, but who knows! Maybe the experience would be life changing. He'd had a few repeat customers, despite the bitter taste.

Lolling his head back, Kestrel smiled broadly to the knight who had stepped forward and all but commanded his time.

"I'm at your service, of course. " The man agreed with a jaunty air, entrusting his work to one of his aides before walking to the side wherever the knight directed. He might be on the wary side, but Kestrel didn't fear a sword in his gut.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 01:50 AM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

A muscle ticking in Michael's jaw, he had to fight against the urge to reach over and stop this travesty before it went too far... though he was starting to suspect that whatever was in that cup.. wasn't lethal. If this man was a former Time Agent, as he supposed Lord Kestrel was, (which was enough reason to have their bosses drag him back into the fold)... then this man wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his morals.

Or would he?

Not knowing the man, there was very little Michael could trust about him... but he was trying to do his best to at least have some faith. All in all, he watched as the peasant seemed to sniff at the cup, even as he took the time to step forward, his eyes on his prey. He might not have been planning to use his sword on Kestrel, but he was definitely not against looking a little intimidating to get his way.

So... as he 'invited' the other man to stand to the side and talk, he took his hand off the other man's shoulder, Michael leading the way, his hand still resting on the hilt of his sword. Turning so that he faced both his fellow Time Agent as well as the room at large, he took a moment once he'd given that brilliant smile... though Michael didn't smile in return. This time period smelled, it was dangerous... and he'd been dragged into this... simply as an errand boy. He really hoped it was worth it.

"I've been sent here to bring you a message," he began in a quieter voice, only to stop and watch this man's face a little more carefully. All in all, he had a feeling this would either go really well... or really badly, and he wanted to just give him the order and go... before things turned nasty in that pub. After all, selling coffee before it was the proper time for it... was probably a punishable offence, because that was the last thing they needed: a paradox.

"First of all: seriously? Coffee?" he burst out with, knowing he couldn't pretend any longer. "Giving these people black coffee must be against some kind of law... has to be," he said, stepping a little nearer.

Milk was a necessity, to his mind. Oh, and tea was just plain better.

"And second: Dashiell and Tommasi want you to come back," he said with little preamble, his eyes narrowed on the man before him. "Those names mean something to you?"

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 08:43 AM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

The lord kept his body posture relaxed and congenial as he followed the knight. The man smelled off, but he wouldn't place that it was that the man smelled cleaner than their compatriots for a while. But Kestrel wouldn't let that niggling doubt or the every steady hand on a sword disturb his gregarious image. Instead, he has turned a bright smile and waited.

Very little patience was required on his part, as it turned out. Just steady handedness at the fact the man knew what coffee was.

"What was good enough for Sir Gawain is good enough for me," Kestrel said cheerfully, not fully falling out of character. He had more to lose if one of his retinue or potential customers overheard. The clear amusement crinkling at the corner of his eyes acknowledged that he did know what the other man was speaking of, however.

There was no need for an armed messenger where scathing gossip or a well placed denunciation by the church would do.

Unfortunately, the second part of the message made far less sense on its own. Oh, he could draw conclusions just fine. The judgement rolling off the anachronistic man in front of him said plenty all on its own. Added to the fact Dashiell and Tommasi were given no titles as current contemporaries would have insisted, well the former time agent had a general idea.

"Not really," the man admitted. "I never joined the office Christmas card list." He smiled self deprecatingly for a second before shrugging it off.

"If this is about me forgetting a stapler or something, by all means." He spread his hands generously. "I'm happy to will it to them. Or you. Consider it a gift."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 02:40 PM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

Oh, he could tell that Kestrel was enjoying this... but he would wager even the amount of gold in the King's Treasury that he wouldn't be for much longer. Oh no, he was one man who always got what he wanted... and in the most professional way he could perhaps get it. In this case, yes, he would see his compatriot brought back to the correct time... because Tommasi requested it.

Anyone else... and he would have scoffed.

Shaking his head as he smelled the stench coming off a passing knight as he remained at the back of the pub, it was all that Dameron could do to squeeze one hand into a fist, and not use it to put more space between himself and the unwashed. This was one one and only drawback he had about coming to the past... because everything else? He loved. Well, usually, anyway.

Inhaling once, he just eyed the other man a moment for the mention of Gawain, before sighing. He had to admit, for all the things that he'd seen be sold as a 'cure', he could actually agree that at least THIS was edible... or drink-able, anyway. "I guess it could be worse," he grudgingly agreed, just before eyeing the other man. What WAS he getting out of that?

Even so, he noticed that a few heads turned their way when he'd leaned closer, which was enough cause to have Michael lower his voice. No need to give them reason to defend their 'lord'.

Yet, it was hard to stop the annoyance from showing on his face as Kestrel sassed him, making it so that Michael arched one brow, only to stop and give him a long, careful... chiding look. "Oh, I'll remember that one..." he muttered quickly, just before the other man went on.

A stapler?

It was what he said next that gave Michael all the impetus he needed... to take that last step froward and settle a hand on his shoulder. Michael knew he could look threatening, but the look in his eyes was definitely less so, considering he knew the type... and some of this man's history. "Look," he said quietly, his eyes flicking to those watching and then back to Merriman. "It wasn't a request. We need all the able-bodied we can get... and there's some that say you were the best of us..." he said low and just motioned to the door with his chin. "What could this place hold for you that ours does not?"

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 07:07 PM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

Kestrel was a consummate professional. That is, he took every con he ran very seriously. He wanted funds, yes. It wasn't as if he was capable of photosynthesis. But none of the natives were to be truly hurt because of him.

He might prefer to meet adversity with either flirting or humour, but that principle did rank higher than his own comfort. The errand boy masquerading as a knight errant couldn't seem to keep his hands off of him. Aramis glanced at the hand that was gripping his shoulder once again, then looked back up to the unnamed man and wiggled his eyebrows playfully.

It wasn't that Aramis was immune to the definite intimidation factor the other man had going on. It was simply his own brand of professionalism. And an enjoyment in seeing what made others squirm.

"What has you in such a rush?" Kestrel asked blithely, ignoring the supposed fact this wasn't a mere invitation. Of course it was. He'd just need an appropriate 'sorry but I didn't feel like being conscripted twice' gift to send to... Dashiell and Tommasi. Whoever they were.

He was truly horrible at remembering coworkers' names. There had been a prodigious amount of alcohol involved in trying to keep the blurry memories of his time in the agency unrecoverable. It just lead to questions he wouldn't get answers to.

and there's some that say you were the best of us

Aramis' expression straightened in understanding as he fetched a small container of smelling salts from his pocket.

"You either have the wrong man or someone has been lying to you, my friend. Best of luck on your search."

He slipped the vial of smelling salts into the hand over his shoulder, before casually stepping back.

Kestrel's eyes glittered oddly at the last question.

"There is no ours."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 08:51 PM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

The look that Kestrel shot him, complete with wriggling brows, was met with a blank stare. Why? Because... well, he'd been a cop on the streets of London long enough to have seen everything. Yes, the worst was having a little old man try and flirt with him to get a reduced sentence. It perhaps wasn't something that he'd openly admit, though...

So, if this man wanted to try some kind of flirtation to get Dameron to let him be... he'd give him points for trying. Would it help? Nope, and all because there was no way he'd go back to Terrenus without Hawkins in tow... because Tommasi requested it.

It was funny how this guy was really pulling out all the stops, though.

Smirking while his hand tightened just a little on Kestrel's shoulder, he took a moment to just shake his head in the negative. Eh, better to tell him he wasn't interested in some small way than to lead him on, right? Besides, he didn't want to have to pull a weapon to get him to move, but he was fast getting to that point. Not a good one, sure, but that step almost always proved to be effective at clearing a room.

"The rush? Well, considering I've spent a week trying to find you... yeah, there's a rush," he muttered, knowing all too well that he'd promised to be back with Hawkins DAYS before. It hadn't happened, and he just hoped the Agency didn't send anyone else to retrieve them both. And that was perhaps why he repeated the gossip he'd heard... and which, it seemed... was way off.

Great.

Noticing the smelling salts in his hand, he took a moment to pocket it... before letting out a sigh and just shook his head. Yep, foiled AGAIN. "I guess that's the last time I listen to inter-office gossip. But... look," he said and met his eyes. "I wouldn't have been sent here, regardless of how you feel... if it wasn't important. The Agency needs everyone it can get... and you've got the training. What's so bad about coming back, anyway?" he asked and frowned. "It's gotta be worth it to get away from the smell... all on its own," he muttered, making a little face.

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 11:58 AM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

If this agent was looking for 'the best of them', Aramis wasn't sure that he had successfully found who he was looking for. But at least he had put some difference between himself and Mr. Knight Errant.

"Gossip can be useful, but you shouldn't steer your life by it, kid. What's your name, anyway?"

He was actually curious, not just stalling or diverting. Kestrel gestured for the agent to follow him, pausing momentarily to talk to some of his men.

"The Agency should be careful about who it brings back into the fold. There are coyotes in the underbrush."

Kestrel picked up his pace again, holding the door open - and keeping a wary eye on the agent to be sure he didn't get a hand on him again - with a smile.

"Let me show you something."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 04:00 PM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

Michael simply stood there a moment, eyes narrowing faintly as he tried, and failed, to see if this man was just being modest... or if he was actually trying to disabuse him of the notion that he wasn't 'the best of them'. If he was being honest with himself, that reeked of modesty, too... considering he didn't immediately jump right on that designation... and so he just gave Merriman a long look... before nodding. "Gossip can't be useful?" he said and shook his head. "Oh, sure it can. But it says more about you that you didn't agree," he began, only to frown. "Michael Dameron..."

With that, he moved to follow the other man, staying close as he'd spoken to one of his compatriots... before moving to his side. Almost at once, he turned his head to keep the other man in his sights, but what he'd said did make him frown deeper. It was the look of a man who was trying to understand just who could be trusted... and not. If this man was warning him... he should keep an eye on him. "I'll keep that in mind..." he murmured, only to stop and give him a look. "If you're trusted by those higher up, though... something tells me there's a reason."

With that, he moved through the door, still held open by the other man... before following Merriman into the street, close enough to keep him at his side, but all without having to put hands on. In this day and age, it would not look right. "Okay, but that depends on what you want to show me. If it's something that supports your claims, though... sooner rather than later might be nice."

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 05:38 PM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

Kestrel - or Hawkins, really, but he wasn't giving away information unnecessarily - didn't have the first clue what the other agents thought of him. He was sociable, but necessity had turned him into an incredible liar. That was a trait that was prized for field work, but not so much interoffice politics or friendships.

It might be somewhat credible that this fellow was hunting for one of his 'identities', but he did wonder if whoever was in charge now knew who else he was. If they did, he'd have to wonder why they wanted him back.

He had made some sort of assurance to serve the Time Agency, of course, so the man didn't exactly think he could dodge this bullet. But he'd certainly delay it.

"Well, Michael Dameron, I'm a bit picky about which lies I adopt as my own truths." He winked then, as if that was meant to make sense. "They say there is a reason for everything."

Lord Kestrel's demeanour didn't indicate if he agreed or not with 'them'.

He did laugh as they left and heard Dameron's impatience.

"Time is relative. But if it matters that much..." He pushed up a sleeve to reveal the bulky wriststrap - no point in denying he was an agent after all - and typing in the coordinates before holding out a hand to Michael invitingly. "Care for a shortcut? We can always take the carriage if you'd rather."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Sep 3 2017, 09:58 PM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

All in all, Michael was sure that there were other missions that might've been easier than this one. Sure, it could have been a test, considering he was still pretty new to the whole Time Agency thing... but even more so, he knew that this might have been a way to see if he was as loyal as he appeared. Could his will really be shaken as much as this man's was?

He really didn't think so.

That was why he simply kept pace with Merriman, his expression coldly impersonal as he strode alongside him, the only sound at first the clanking of metal from his armour. But it was hard to stop himself from smirking at least a little for the idea of two Time Agents, so far out of their own time... surrounded by those they were trying to protect. Of course, Merriman wasn't feeling like coming back, but hopefully that was soon to change.

Indeed, as the other man spoke, Michael simply eyed him a moment before shrugging it off. "Indeed, and the reason I'm here, is because you're here. It's a miracle," he said sarcastically before turning his eyes to the other man and smirking. "But if there's one thing you should see as truth, it's that you're one of us. If that remains true or not, that's up to you." With that, he motioned him forward, wishing nothing but to keep moving away from prying eyes... so they could leave.

But it was when Kestrel offered his hand did Michael eye it and the Vortex Manipulator above it... before allowing his eyes to slowly trace back up to Merriman's face with a frown. "Let's hope this isn't a trick," he began, and then clasped hands. "Because, between you and me... I think a carriage sounds a lot more rickety than it should be."

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Sep 4 2017, 12:37 AM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

"But if there's one thing you should see as truth, it's that you're one of us. If that remains true or not, that's up to you."

Was he really? Maybe. He supposed there might be a nebulous sort of debt towards the agency as a whole. There were so many splintering sides. In a way, it was a gift. Just from a stranger, so he was wary no matter how pretty the wrapping was.

Dameron's careful frown broke his own contemplative expression. He took things so seriously. It was going to keep him probably quite alive but quite boring. A moment later, the kid was accepting his hand to avoid a carriage ride, which was truly and properly hilarious. If he did decide to go back with this kid - and not just find a way to wipe his memory and dodge him - then he was going to have to figure out just how far in the future he came from. Or if a persnicketiness about smell and ease of travel were just a thing for him.

Not that travel by manipulator was smooth, really. It was at least shorter by far than the carriage ride would have been. They vanished in a bright flare of energy, and reappeared in his cabin on board the ship that was the pride of the Kestrel fleet. Everything on board was contemporary with its surroundings, of course. He knew whenever he fell in love with a ship that he'd still have to leave it at some point. There was no guarantee he could time a return precisely enough to avoid messing up the timeline.

Unclasping their hands, Hawkins gestured for Michael to make himself at home.

"What brought you to the Time Agency?" He asked curiously, for all the world as if he was giving Dameron a job interview.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Michael Dameron
 Posted: Sep 4 2017, 03:46 AM
Apollo // Offline
45 posts
35 years old
Torchwood
Time Agent
Children of Time

Really, Michael never would have guessed where he would end up when Hawkins asked to take his hand and travel with him... and honestly, if he'd been pressed, he might have assumed that they were going somewhere a little closer to his own time. Sure, it was wishful thinking, but... stranger things HAD happened, hadn't they?

But... when he opened his eyes after the blinding flash of light and their quick travel, he was surprised to find the pair of them belowdecks in a ship, with the lapping of water so very close to where they stood. Likely just on the outside of the wooden hull to their side, there would be ocean... but Michael didn't really want to go see. In the moment, he had much greater things to worry about, like... getting this man to come back to the twenty-first century with him.

It was turning into a greater struggle than he'd thought.

So, turning his head to look over the cabin of the ship, he paused, turning the rest of his body halfway as well, his sword in its scabbard bumping against his leg as he stopped short. It wasn't the biggest space, but from knowing his history? It was the Captain's cabin. That... was interesting enough.. considering this man seemed to own this, if his guess was correct.

The question, when it came, made him pause to look over his shoulder, just before moving to a low, backless chair... the armour making anything else sound extremely uncomfortable. "I was recruited after I helped capture a Rogue Agent. I was a cop for the London police, at the time..." he said and eyed the other man. "What about you? And why'd you leave, anyway?"

PM
^
Merriman Hawkins
 Posted: Sep 4 2017, 10:53 AM
Ivy // Offline
36 posts
34 years old
Time Agency
Children of Time

It was pleasant to have confirmation this kid knew about the rogue agency, even if he didn't know about any other discontents. Hawkins wasn't aware of the whole story himself, but he did know there was more than enough valid complaints against the old regime.

"From cop to masquerading as a knight. Clever choice." Hawkins complimented, pulling out two glasses and a decanter and pouring a few fingers worth into both. "When?"

Hawkins took a careful sip from a glass after giving Dameron time to choose one, not immediately answering the man's question. Perhaps he was ordering his thoughts, or perhaps he was just testing the other's patience. Either way, he eventually shrugged.

"I convinced someone I was more useful as a loose cannon under their control than being erased." He was under no illusions that he would have survived the agency as it was at the time if he hadn't succeeded at that crucial bargain.

Hawkins wasn't sure if that agent cared how much of an impact they'd made on his life. He didn't really need them to, but Hawkins did have a sense of obligation there. (A minuscule one because he had paid his way, thank you very much. But the feeling lingered.)

"I lost my partner," he said simply after a few more moments of silence, providing no further detail than that because he frankly didn't know what had happened. "What with everything..." Hawkins gestured vaguely with his free hand. He'd gotten out with his memories intact while he could.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us | Apply ]
RPG-D CAUTION Shine Shadowplay Candyland Couture Out of the Ashes Hope Awakens Pandorica Extremis 

skinned exclusively by ree of shine. cfs by black. do not reproduce.